Acne & Scars
Are you depressed and embarrassed by your acne?
You are not alone. Around 85% of people between the ages of 12 to 25 suffer from different kinds of acne. In fact, acne breakouts do not only happen in your teenage years! Even when you are in your late twenties or thirties, you can still suffer from “adult acne”. In most cases, if not properly treated, acne can leave permanent scars on your skin.
With over 20 years of medical experience, Dermatologist Dr Wong Soon Tee has treated many patients with all kinds of acne – from mild to severe. Many parents brought their teenage children to see him, and quite a few regretted not seeking treatment earlier!
If you have acne, don’t wait until it gets worse before you see a Skin Specialist/Dermatologist.
The primary objective of seeking early treatment for your acne is to stop the outbreak and prevent it from forming scars. Prevention is recommended because it is easier, less expensive, and less time-consuming to prevent a breakout than to treat acne scars.
Applying his experience and evidence-based approach, Dr Wong will help you fight acne, so you can enjoy clear and healthy skin without the scarring.
How do you get acne?
- Over-production of sebum from the oil glands.
- Formation of white and blackheads due to blockages at the pore of the oil gland.
- Bacteria growing easily in these blocked glands leading to inflammation, redness, swelling and pus!
Before you notice it, an outbreak of acne is starting to show on your face, neck, shoulder and back. The non-inflammatory acne consists mainly of whiteheads and blackheads and these will not cause scarring. The inflammatory acne consists of red bumps, painful pussy bumps and cysts, which often lead to acne scars.
Why do you need to see a Dermatologist?
Acne is very common and many people try to self medicate. When self-medication is not effective, it is important to consult Dermatologist to help sort out your acne problem.
Dermatologists are specialists in both medical and cosmetic skin problems. Every dermatologist spends 6 to 8 years to complete his or her specialist’s training, first in general medicine and later in medical and surgical dermatology. Dermatology training focuses on the skin, hair and nails and dermatologists undergo rigorous assessments and examinations before being given accreditation by the Ministry of Health in Singapore.
Dr Wong is an accredited dermatologist for 20 years and is, therefore, a skin specialist in the treatment of medical and cosmetic skin problems, and of course, acne. Thus, seeking his help is indeed a smart move to improve the appearance of your skin.
Consult a dermatologist if:
- You are not sure if the spots on your face are acne.
- Self-medication and home remedies did not work and your acne is worsening.
- Your self-esteem is affected and you are upset or depressed about it.
- You have an irregular period, increase facial hairs and weight problems along with acne.
What treatment will Dr Wong recommend?
- Mild acne– Exfoliation to clear the whiteheads and blackheads and to stop the acne zits from appearing is the main objective.
- Hydra-facial Treatment– Hydrafacial treatment achieves good skin exfoliation. It also includes salicylic acid aided extraction, to clean clogged pores to clear whiteheads and blackheads. This gives a thoroughly cleansed and brighter face with better acne outbreak control. The skin is better hydrated and the skin texture is also improved.
- Helios Carbon Laser Peel– This is a soft laser peel to remove dead skin cells and deeply cleanse the pores to control outbreaks. In addition to controlling the outbreak, the heat generated from the laser also improves the skin pores and rejuvenates the skin.
- M22 OPT Acne Treatment– This acne buster device delivers a powerful and targeted blue light beam to kill the bacteria in the acne. It is especially ideal for pregnant ladies, patients with multiple antibiotic allergies, and patients with sensitive facial skin intolerant to topical medications.
- Dermatologist Skincare Products – Specially formulated and selected by Dr Wong to elegantly control and to clear mild acne.
- Moderate acne– Eradicating the bacteria and controlling the inflammation is the main objective for this type of acne.
- Oral medications and acne creams–Using his experience and after considering his patient’s treatment history and preference, Dr Wong will choose the most appropriate antibiotics and acne creams to control the pimple outbreak.
- Helios Acne Laser Toning– Helios Acne Laser Toning is able to lighten and reduce the acne marks and give one a bright and clean face. Combining this laser treatment with oral medication often produces excellent results.
- Severe acne
- Isotretinoin — Oral Isotretinoin is an excellent treatment against acne. It is highly effective and it prevents scarring.
Not sure which treatment is good for you? Call 66941121 or whatapp 97244911 for your first consultation now!
What is an Acne Scar?
Acne scars are permanent textural changes like indentations or bumps that occur on the skin as a result of acne inflammation.
Importance of early intervention
In scar treatment, prevention is most important. This is achieved through early medical intervention. This includes early acne treatment, preventing acne outbreaks and educating teenagers against scratching and squeezing their pimples.
Types of acne scar
Generally, scars are identified into two categories: depressed scars and raised scars.
- Depressed scars: they are caused by loss of tissues on the skin that leaves a visible dent in your skin. There are three types of depressed scars:
- Ice pick scars: narrow and deep scars.
- Boxcar scars: shallow and wide scars.
- Rolling scars: rounded scars with sloping edges.
- Raised scars: These are mainly caused by over production of collagen when your skin is trying to heal the acne.
Types of Treatments Available
In many cases, different types of scars often appear together on the face, thus there is a need to combine different treatments.
For acne scar treatment, the laser utilizes a very narrow laser beam to remove tissue deep in the layers of the skin, leaving the surrounding skin intact. This starts the wound healing and develops new collagen on the treated skin. This laser significantly helps to improve and smoothen acne scars, especially the soft and stretchable scars. Sun avoidance is important after treatment and topical medications will be prescribed to optimize the result of laser treatment.
Chemical Peels remove the top layer of the skin with chemical acid to smooth depressed and superficial scars. Different chemicals can be used to peel the skin at varying depths to stimulate new collagen formation. A deeper level of skin peel is required to effect acne scar correction and improvement.
TCA CROSS stands for Tri-Chloroacetic Acid Chemical Reconstruction of Skin Scarring. It improves the appearance of ice pick scars and box-like scars. One treatment generally improves the scar only marginally. TCA CROSS treatment is usually repeated several times at 30 – 60 days apart. Regardless of the number of scars, it is done without any anaesthesia and no stitches are used.
In scars subcision, a needle-blade is inserted from the edge of the scars into the base of the pimples scars to cut and free the fibrous-like scars. Bruising is common after this procedure but will disappear after 3 to 6 days. Where necessary, Dr Wong will combine this procedure with other treatments to obtain optimal results.
Surgical excision of Isolated Scars
This method is most suitable for small and linear scars. Dr Wong will remove the scar surgically and re-join the normal skin which will heal neatly into a less obvious/visible scar. Good results are obtained when the scar is removed and wound edges are brought together without tension.
For patients who are eager to improve the acne marks (the brown and red marks after pimples have settled), Helios III Fractional QSY laser treatment is invaluable. Generally, several sessions of treatment are needed to brighten or completely clear the hyper-pigmented brown acne marks.
Botulinum Toxin Injection
Acne scars around the certain facial area are often accentuated by the underlying muscle contraction (e.g. chin.) Relaxing the muscle using Botox treatment will soften the appearance of the scar in these areas.
Fillers injection uses hyaluronic acid that can raise sunken scars or plump up skin to stretch the scars. The amount of fillers injected will vary with the size and firmness of the scar. Improvement is immediate but not permanent. Continuous re-treatment is required annually to maintain the results.
Live Confidently with Acne-Free Skin!
You can have acne-free, clear skin that gives you the confidence to face anyone. Delaying acne treatment can only make acne worse and result in permanent scarring. With the right help, good and effective treatment is readily available.
See us at Assurance and get positive results for your acne treatment today!